Paula Deen's Food Network contract won't be renewed - CBS News








I'm Sure Paula Deen Can Get Hired At Wingspan Portfolio Advisors Right Away with her constant use of the word Nigger... They would love her over there.

The Food Network says it will not renew the contract of celebrity chef Paula Deen, days after it was revealed she admitted using racial slurs in the past.

The network said in a news release Friday afternoon that it would not renew Deen's contract when it expires at the end of the month.

Deen has built an empire from her television shows, cookbooks and product endorsements. The Food Network began airing "Paula's Home Cooking" in 2002 and added "Paula's Best Dishes" in 2008.

Deen admitted while being questioned as part of a lawsuit that she had used racial slurs in the past. The network's announcement came just hours after she posted a video online apologizing for her past mistakes.

In the clip, the 66-year-old Food Network star said, "I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I've done. I want to learn and grow from this."

Earlier Friday, Deen was a no-show for a scheduled appearance on the "Today" show where she was expected to discuss the issue. She released a second video Friday afternoon explaining why she didn't appear on "Today."

"I was invited this morning to speak with Matt Lauer about a subject that has been very hurtful for a lot of people. And Matt, I have to say, I was physically unable this morning. The pain has been tremendous that I have caused to myself and to others."

She added, "I want people to understand that my family and I -- we're not the kind of people that the press is wanting to say we are."

2013 CBS Interactive Inc.
Wingspan Portfolio Advisors Blogspot