Providence Journal Writer Madeline Kahn Eloquently Explains Why All White Americans Are Inherently Racist


The common definition of racism does not address and explain the underlying cause of racial inequity in our society. In order to accurately reflect what racism truly is, as definitions should, the systemic realities of racism must be recognized.

The historical, cultural, and political dynamics of the United States were designed and maintained to consistently provide whites an advantage at the expense of people of color. By virtue of being the recipients of such benefits, irrespective of our individual prejudices, or lack thereof, the white population is racist. Yes, all white Americans are inherently racist.

We are raised in a culture that values white achievement above all else. We are taught history from a white perspective. Our textbooks tell us of the achievements of our white Founding Fathers and those of their successors. When people of color are identified in American history, they are introduced as products of actions of whites.

Each year, we learn about the same handful of African American figures: Harriet Tubman, Martin Luther King Jr., Langston Hughes, W.E.B Du Bois, and Frederick Douglass, but they seem to only be included by obligation rather than for their great achievements. The emphasis and importance placed on white history has fostered a culture of white privilege.

Growing up as a white American, I have been able to identify the benefits I’ve received from this biased culture. My intelligence is not questioned by virtue of my race. If I am pulled over by a traffic cop, I know it’s not because of my race. I have the ability to remain ignorant of the language and customs of cultures outside of my own without worry or fear of rejection by my culture.

When I enter the workforce, I know I will receive 25 percent more money than a Hispanic or Latina woman for the same job. I have a 17 percent higher chance of graduating from high school than a black student. I know I have much of a lesser chance of becoming a victim of police brutality than does a person of color. As a white person living in a society that intentionally oppresses people of color, I receive benefits from belonging to the dominant race, thus contributing to systemic racism.

One may make the claim that not all white individuals are racist because many people advocate for racial equality. What people commonly think of as racism is actually prejudice. Although people may be helping to combat racial prejudice, they are still racists themselves since they are still benefiting from white privilege. Racism in the United States has been so ingrained in our society that it has become systemic, and impossible to eradicate.

If we want to change the dynamics of our country and minimize racial inequity, it is vital that the white population realize the truth about racism; the white population must recognize its place in the systemic racism of the United States in order to lower racial bias and make the country a more equal place..........


Original Article appeared in the Providence Journal
Written by Madeline Kahn

And the Postal Worker was fired. The woman assaulted him and did not do a day in jail.