Navy Discharges Black Sailor Who Won't Change Her Natural Hair



The natural hair nightmare for US female soldiers is far from over.

Navy Times reports that Jessica Sims, ex-Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class and sailor of twelve years got the boot from the Navy when she refused to cut off her natural hair or wear a wig.

After almost a decade of wearing her natural hair in the same style, Sims received several calls that her hairstyle violated set military standards and interfered her ability to wear gas masks and safety helmets -- a claim she says is untrue.

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel ordered a revision of US military hair restrictions this month -- after a wave of backlash to new "racially biased" grooming regulations announced in April -- none of which prevented repeated calls from the Navy for Sims to change her hair.

"I don’t think I should be told that I have to straighten my hair in order to be within what they think the regulations are, and I don’t think I should have to cover it up with a wig.”

Sims harbors no regret in choosing her natural hair over her position with the US Navy.

“I still stand by it. I would do it again if I had to."